.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Creative Web Development - CSS, XHTML, Javascript and RTML for Yahoo Store

Friday, January 13, 2006

How to Disable Windows XP Security Center Alerts

Sick again today, worst day of the week (hopefully that means it's OVER!). Had to use a sick day at work, which I hate doing so early in the year. Oh well, what can you do? I know, get rid of one of a million Windows XP annoyances.

The Windows XP Security Center is sloppy and it's much safer to use 3rd party programs for the same tasks. For a firewall, I recommend ZoneAlarm Pro, though I have my router set up pretty strict, and a lot of antivirus/antispyware installed, so I don't actually use a PC firewall. McAfee's firewall is pretty strong, too - I use that at work.

Anyway, Windows doesn't always detect your firewall, and thus tends to give you a "your computer is insecure" warning in your systray. I HATE things cluttering up my cherished systray. So, here's how to kill that alert.

To turn off Security Center alerts
  1. Click Start and then click Control Panel.
  2. Double-click Security Center.
  3. In the Security Center, under Resources, click Change the way Security Center alerts me.
  4. In the Alert Settings dialog box, clear the Firewall, Automatic Updates, or Virus Protection check boxes, and then click OK.
From: Microsoft.com

4 Comments:

  • That's what i was looking for this weekend too.
    I got tired of Norton being on my way all the time and although i had another couple weeks of free trial time, it kept reminding me to renew. So I removed the sucker but was bombordered by winodws security center. I used to disable that before but this time couldn't find it rightaway, thought about asking you and left it as is. And there is your post about it. Magic!

    Thanks, man.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:49 AM  

  • That's awesome, glad this blog was actually useful to someone :) I hate those stupid alerts, and most alerts. I know what's going on with my pc, it doesn't need to remind me!

    This was actually first in part of a much larger series that will be posted with the redesign. I set up my old PC and I'm going to use it as a storage machine/server, possibly a Linux dual boot - but the first series from that machine is going to be along the lines of "How to make XP not suck after you install it" - removing crap you don't need, speeding up your tasks, etc. Then comes staying on top of spyware, hooray! Should be useful to most of my friends and family at least, or so I hope. :D

    By Blogger steve, at 1:58 AM  

  • I was playing with Linux a bit - used Fedore Core2, Core3 and Core 4 actually and had Redhat Linux for like 60 minutes installed on my computer. I even have a Linspire CD with something called live cd or something like that, when you can boot Linux without installing it just from a CD.
    I love how it reminds me UNIX and I starting to like UNIX because of my OSX i'm using at work. And if only adobe would have Photoshop for linux i'd probably use linux at home all the time instead of Windows XP. I tried GIMP, but 7 years or more of everyday work with Photoshop is hard to give up. But i totally see you using linux without any regrets. Let me know how it goes. May be i'll switch to GIMP :))

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:58 AM  

  • That's really informative. I must say you have very good Blog and shared vital knowledge here. Keep updating as I am going to keep coming to read and learn more

    By Anonymous hire yahoo store programmer, at 6:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
 
nunzi.blogspot.com    Web