.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Creative Web Development - CSS, XHTML, Javascript and RTML for Yahoo Store

Thursday, January 19, 2006

Quickly adding many posts in Movable Type - without import/export

Back on the 10th I posted about Movable Type, which I've been using a lot more as I prepare to move my blog over after the redesign is done (also, I've just finished setting up our work blog on it). In the ongoing debate between Movable Type and Wordpress and which is better, I really think it depends what you need. I started with Movable Type, (after Blogger of course) since it was the first one Yahoo released with their hosting package. I already know the language, like the clean interface and the easy access to the php, and how easily it interfaced it with phpMyAdmin, also available on Yahoo Hosting with our Yahoo Store. Whatever, that's not the point of this post.

One thing I don't like about Movable Type is how when creating a new post, if you set the status to "Published", it automatically publishes the post when you click Save. When I have 15 HTML files I'm ready to paste in and publish in bulk, I don't want to have to keep waiting for each to publish. At first I was Ctrl+clicking in Firefox on the New Entry link, so I would open 15 new tabs. Then I'd go to the first one, paste, publish. As it published, go and get the second HTML, and by the time I get back to the first tab it's done, so I close it and paste the second post. If there's one thing I learned from visiting the Edison estate (besides the fact that Banyan trees are wonderful and gorgeous) it's that the assembly line concept is solid. Repetition leads to increased efficiency in most cases.

So sure, this is more efficient than waiting each time...but if there's internet lag I'm still waiting a while (waiting just 1 second for my computer to keep up with my thought process aggravates me enough)...and having to even do this is just plain annoying. I can only imagine how long it will take when our work blog is huge. Well, there is a better way, which is awesome.

Basically, when you make new posts you set them to Unpublished instead of Published. Instead of publishing each it will save them, and mark them in your Entries list with a pencil icon. When you're done entering the 15 posts, go to the Entries page and click Power Editing Mode. Simply change all the Unpublished dropdowns to Published, and Save and Rebuild.

2 Comments:

  • Thanks for the comments earlier! I am glad to have found your blog, it looks interesting.

    I'd be interested to know which blog software you prefer on Yahoo...
    Movable Type or Word Press?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:53 PM  

  • Hopefully after the redesign this month it will be WAY more usable :)

    So far, I've been extremely happy with MT on Yahoo. I've found one or two small bugs related to updating template and not having pages re-publish fully, but I was able to get around those with a few workarounds. Otherwise I think MT has a much cleaner, easier to use interface than WordPress, which is important when you're setting up a blog for someone else, not yourself.

    Also, all the functionality I've needed has been there, as well as access to the source (php), so I'm completely happy with it. And I found their propietary language for building templates was very easy to learn.

    By Blogger steve, at 1:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
 
nunzi.blogspot.com    Web